Sexual Assault Case Procedures

The following information is provided to assist a person who has been the victim of a sexual assault.

Emergency Medical Examination/Evidence Collection

Receiving medical care immediately following a rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault is extremely important for your well-being. It is essential that you obtain:

  • Emergency medical exam if you are injured.
  • A general medical exam to ensure that you haven't obtained injuries that you are unaware of or unable to determine.
  • A medical/legal examination for the collection of evidence if you think there is any possibility you will want to prosecute the offender.  The exam must be conducted within 48 hours of the assault and you must NOT clean up before the exam to avoid loss or contamination of evidence.
  • Testing for sexually transmitted diseases. AIDS, and possible pregnancy (as part of follow-up treatment).

For medical emergencies, please dial 911 to have an ambulance dispatched.

Other sources of medical information for victims include Missouri S&T Student Health Services (available during business hours).


Emotional Support

The need for emotional support and assistance after a rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault is great. In the aftermath of such a violation and loss of control, it may be difficult to consider what steps to take.

Contact a close friend or family member to talk with and assist in making decisions. Contact the Missouri S&T Counseling Center, whose services are strictly confidential. Contacting this support service does not obligate you to take any further action.


Reporting of Incident

You may wish to report the assault in order to have the alleged offender apprehended and/or for the protection of self or others. If this is the case, successful apprehension and/or prosecution of the offender depends greatly on a rapid and accurate reporting of the crime. Information about the assault can assist law enforcement authorities in providing and improving prevention strategies for the protection of the victim and others in the community.

You have the option of making a report for the purpose of assisting the police in protecting the community without obligation to participate in the prosecution. While the actual prosecution of the offender is pursued by the Phelps County Prosecutor (not by the victim), prosecution is unlikely to occur without the consent and assistance of the victim.You have the right to choose not to contact the university police, but you are strongly encouraged to report the assault to the police department.


Anonymous or Third Party Reporting

Even if you may not want to prosecute the offender to have it known you were the victim of an assault, you can choose to report the assault anonymously, or someone whom you have told about the assault can report it.

This type of reporting will provide the department with general information that may be useful in preventing additional assaults on campus. To make an anonymous report, call the police department and request to speak with an officer.


Disciplinary Action

Whether or not you choose to report the assault to law enforcement or participate in criminal prosecution, you may decide to take action through the campus judicial system. If you were assaulted by another Missouri S&T student, on- or off-campus, the accused may be charged under the University of Missouri Standard of Conduct. The judicial officer at Missouri S&T is available to discuss campus judicial procedures. While the judicial officer may investigate the complaint and impose appropriate discipline with or without the victim's consent, discussing a matter of sexual assault with her/him does not compel the victim to participate actively in pursuing disciplinary charges. The judicial officer can be contacted through Student Affairs at (573) 341-4292.


Contact with Offender

In situations where the accused and the accuser may be in close contact with each other because of class schedules and/or living arrangements, adjustments to housing or class schedules may be made. The Director of Residential Life has the authority to give the accuser and/or accused the option of changing living arrangements. If both the accuser and the accused refuse to change living arrangements, the Director has the authority to change the living arrangements of either person. The judicial officer shall give the parties the option of changing class schedules to avoid contact; however, change of class schedules cannot be required until after disciplinary proceedings have concluded.